Bengaluru Walk-a-thon is an opportunity for the disabled community to keep in step with all to generate awareness about a common issue that affects one and all irrespective of abilities – Environment. While commemorating International Day of People of Disability the disabled community intends to send out the following message loud and clear.
Facts about waste
- • India generates 30 million tons of waste annually
- • Namma Bengaluru generates 2000-3000 tons of solid waste each day
- • 75% of the waste generated is organic
- • 67% of the 25% waste generated is recyclable
Hazards of inappropriate waste management and landfills
- • Ground water contamination
- •Emission of highly toxic smoke
- • Spread of infectious diseases
Outcome – Imbalance in Biodiversity and Ecosystem
Solution for maximized social welfare
- • Segregation of waste at source into organic, dry and sanitary/medical waste
- • Through project titled ‘Parisara’ dry & E-waste is collected, disposed scientifically and recycled
- • Through Project ‘Punar’ we train women with disabilities and those with disabling conditions to make recycled products out of dry waste and generate livelihoods.
- Come join your hands, march step in step to make the 10th Walk-a-thon a thundering success to promote waste segregation and protect Environment.